PLEASE NOTE: I've moved! Feel free to continue following me via my new blog Embrace Serendipity.

**All tutorials & the majority of the posts from this blog have been moved over to my new blog**



Feb 16, 2011

Heart Breaker Layout

Good evening! Am sitting here watching American Idol & at the same time uploading my latest page titled 'Heart Breaker'--and I mean this in the literal sense.

Here's my little Toby tearing apart my heart! My red doily heart that is. Yep, this is one of Toby's favorite past times--ripping up any paper from my scrapbook stash that he can get his little paws on. When I saw him ripping into my heart doily I decided to take pictures as he did it. Besides--it was too late to save the heart! With Valentines just having passed, I figured this would be a perfect page for the occasion.

There are a variety of techniques on this page. There's masking, stamping, embossing, painting, stitching & a version of lacing.

I used a combination of papers from two Swirlydoos kits. Most of the script you see on the paper is actually a stamp. The vines & swirls you see in the red background was made with a mask & three layers of painting/inking. First layer was white acrylic paint, second layer was a dab of Fired Brick distress ink & final layer was Black Soot distress ink.

In this screen shot you can also see the black stitching going around the page.

The paper behind the photos is actually white vellum that I wrinkled & tore, inked in Fired Brick distress ink & stamped with a script stamp.

I did a version of stitching/lacing once again to make the harlequin background you see in this screen shot.


A closeup of the heart chippie. The heart was painted with three colors of acrylic paint--black, ivory & red. I tapped my paintbrush on the chippie to give it that 'splattered' effect. Then I used a crackle medium to give it that broken glass look.

Finally a closeup of the black swirls. The swirls are made out of grungeboard. I painted the swirls in black acrylic paint. Once dry, I dipped the grungeboard in embossing ink, poured clear Star Dust embossing powder on it & then heat embossed it. In person, the texture of these flourishes are really pretty!


Finally I randomly added Star Dust stickles around the page--it's hard to see in these photos...but they're there!

Well off to finish watching American Idol...believe it or not--it's my husband who loves this show...I just go along for the ride.

Till my next post...

4 comments:

Natasha said...

Does Mark know you spilled the beans about his love of American Idol? LOL. I love the textures on this page! It must look awesome IRL! The heart looks fab too! Overall, another fantastic page... very creative and full of techniques!

Cheryl (C Mom Go) said...

So many beautiful details...and of course the star of the show, Toby is full of cuteness, even when he is being bad lol.

Sherry said...

I still giggle at those pictures of Toby.. maybe he's jealous as mommy spends to much time with this paper!!! and figures he'll fix that!! lol
Thanks for stopping in and commenting on my Victorian Hat . Such a beautiful compliment. I'm glad you were able to look at all the other pictures too. the back looks really nice in person with all the crinoline.
Thanks for the visit and for taking your time to leave me a message I do very much appreciate it.
Hugs
Sherry

Cindy Gay said...

Lots of nice details here. Especially like the painting. My kitty empties the scrap room trash daily looking for curly pieces of adhesive backing and the like. . . at least it's not non trash paper (she prefers sitting on that)